A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019

You can’t have missed all the new rainbow flags and posters around town over the last couple of weeks, but what’s it all for?

The Wellington Pride Festival is here. It started last week and finishes on March 24. There’s plenty of cool stuff on, both for queers and anyone who wants to support the community.

The first couple of weeks of Pride were packed with plenty of comedians and drag shows, karaoke nights, and even a roller derby.

You really missed out, though, if you didn’t go to Out in the Park and the Wellington International Pride Parade on Saturday, March 16.

Out in the Park has been going since the ’80s, with a bunch of free entertainment right in the middle of town at Waitangi Park, so it’s always worth checking out.

The Wellington Pride Parade also made a splash, taking over the whole of Courtenay Place from 6 pm until late into the night, full of colour and celebration.

Events will continue to run until the end of the week, with Four Winds: An Interfaith Spiritual Gathering at St Andrews on the Terrace this Tuesday; Ivy Karaoke on Wednesday; the Disney Drag Supershow on Saturday; and a whole lot more.

VUWSA and VUW didn’t put anything on themselves, but VUWSA said they were “looking forward to Pride Week on campus to celebrate our Vic Community”.

VUW is sponsoring this week’s ILGA World Conference and will be supporting UniQ Victoria’s Pride Week in July, as well as giving broader support to the queer community at Victoria throughout the year.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future