A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019

You can’t have missed all the new rainbow flags and posters around town over the last couple of weeks, but what’s it all for?

The Wellington Pride Festival is here. It started last week and finishes on March 24. There’s plenty of cool stuff on, both for queers and anyone who wants to support the community.

The first couple of weeks of Pride were packed with plenty of comedians and drag shows, karaoke nights, and even a roller derby.

You really missed out, though, if you didn’t go to Out in the Park and the Wellington International Pride Parade on Saturday, March 16.

Out in the Park has been going since the ’80s, with a bunch of free entertainment right in the middle of town at Waitangi Park, so it’s always worth checking out.

The Wellington Pride Parade also made a splash, taking over the whole of Courtenay Place from 6 pm until late into the night, full of colour and celebration.

Events will continue to run until the end of the week, with Four Winds: An Interfaith Spiritual Gathering at St Andrews on the Terrace this Tuesday; Ivy Karaoke on Wednesday; the Disney Drag Supershow on Saturday; and a whole lot more.

VUWSA and VUW didn’t put anything on themselves, but VUWSA said they were “looking forward to Pride Week on campus to celebrate our Vic Community”.

VUW is sponsoring this week’s ILGA World Conference and will be supporting UniQ Victoria’s Pride Week in July, as well as giving broader support to the queer community at Victoria throughout the year.

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this