Mosque Terror Attacks: The Government Responds

Both the legislature and executive spent time early last week to acknowledge the Al Noor and Linwood Mosque Terror Attacks. Jacinda Ardern also gave an update at the first post-Cabinet media conference on proposed legal action going forward.

Parliament came to a standstill on Tuesday, with politicians from all sides making condolence speeches for victims of the terror attacks. This was followed by more statements of condolences on Wednesday. The house will not sit again until April 2.

Ardern herself returned to Christchurch on Wednesday, where she met with the first responders of the incident, including St Johns and frontline support staff.

The post-Cabinet media conference focussed on gun control reforms and an inquiry into the failure of intelligence agencies to prevent the attacks.

Ardern stated that she planned to announce the changes before cabinet meets next, a week and a half after the terror attacks. All parties around the table agreed that gun reform was necessary.

“As a cabinet, we were absolutely unified that the terror attack on Friday was the worst act of terrorism on our shores”, Ardern said.

She acknowledged the possible uncertainty that some gun owners were facing in the prospect of an overhaul of existing laws. However, she added that gun owners would agree that change should happen.

Ministers from the Green Party were invited to Cabinet today to discuss issues surrounding gun laws.

Cabinet announced an inquiry focusing on the circumstances that lead to the attack. In particular, the background and movements of the shooter both domestically and internationally prior to the event.

Relevant government agencies would also be investigated as part of the inquiry to see if there was any way that the shootings could have been prevented.

The date of a national memorial to commemorate the mosque attacks was to be announced by the Prime Minister at a later date.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties