March 11, 2019 | by  | in News Splash |

New Students Get Orientated

New Students’ Orientation Week has come and gone again, kicking off another year at VUW with a bang.

This year’s line-up included the requisite toga party, a comedy show with Melanie Bracewell, and live music headlined by Rudimental, Netsky, and Winston Surfshirt.

O-Week was a wild success in terms of attendance, with the toga party and gigs selling out in record time.

In response, an official afterparty, featuring local artists P-Money, Church & AP, and 1174.

The events did not run entirely without incident, however, with 58 students passing through VUWSA’s saferoom.

The saferoom provides a space for students who are injured, intoxicated, or otherwise in distress, to get away from the main event and be looked after by trained staff.

The majority of students admitted to the room were from halls of residence, mostly for alcohol-related issues.

Drug-related incidents were up on 2018 figures, at 14 admissions throughout the week.

Two students were also admitted to hospital, one for continuous vomiting and one for a head injury sustained on the way to an event.

While students were impressed by the quality of the international musicians O-Week attracted, some felt that the venue, the Hunter Lounge, did not do the artists justice.

“It just got really crowded,” said first-year student Erin, who attended the toga party and Winston Surfshirt.

Fellow fresher Eliza agreed that the events were “too busy”, and a bigger venue would “definitely” improve the events, especially the ever-popular toga party.

The university also held orientation events for Māori, Pasifika, postgraduate, mature, refugee-background and rainbow students, as well as a variety of academic workshops.

VUWSA President Tamatha Paul summarised the week for Salient, “it was great.”

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism