post it notes
March 9, 2019 | by  | in Arts |

Post-It Notes: The Interview

Post-it Notes – NZ Fringe 2019, 11-14 March, Bats Theater

A surreal one-woman show exploring depression, learning to live with yourself, and learning to live with Post-It notes.’ Post-It Notes is apart of the Wellington Fringe Festival for 2019. The show is written by Ben Wilson Directed by Keegan Bragg, the character Mia is played by Brit O’Rourke.

Salient sat down with Ben and Brit to have a chat about the show.

S: So, tell us about the show.

Ben: The show is about Mia, who is a young woman in her early 20’s, and she’s accumulated a lot of post-it notes, over her life, writing down things she needed to do, little tasks. And then it shifted to writing down her personality flaws and things she hated about herself, which filled up her entire room. She decides she’s had enough, so she gives herself 48 hours to get through all these tasks, shuts herself in her room to do them and that’s when we start the show.

S: Do you find yourself connecting to Mia and the show?

Brit: It was really lucky for me in this role that I related to Mia. Over the last three years I’ve got to know my own mental illness, which is something that’s been with me since being in Year 8, and with it not being something talked about in schools, I didn’t really know what it was. Mia faces intrusive thoughts, which is something I’ve also gone through. I think there are points of this play that people are really going to relate to and personalise.

S: What were your goals in writing this show?

Ben: My main goal was to write a play about mental illness where the statement was about learning to accept it. I’ve done other shows where the goal was getting people to talk about it or reach out, which is equally important, but the new thing I want to say now about mental illness is about learning to love yourself not in spite of it, but with it. The strength that is within yourself, when you can look after yourself too, is also something I wanted to touch on.

S: What are your thoughts about creating a show about mental illness, especially as young people living in New Zealand?

Ben: A lot of the time shows about mental illness are quite safe, there are very blunt and graphic depictions in our show about suicide and I wanted to do that because it’s really rare to see on stage. We wanted to really show the ugly parts of mental illness. Stuff like self-harm, different disorders and the extent of people liking themselves because of their mental illness, we don’t even go near the surface with that, but I wanted to slowly move closer to it all.

And obviously, the big thing is just talking about it – it’s still such a big problem. A lot of the time it’s about men and mental illness, so there’s less about women when it comes to mental illness narratives in general and in theatre and we were keen to touch on that.

Brit: When you experience it yourself you seek out that kind of art that can speak its truth for yourself. I want people to come along because it is a show about pain, mental illness and suicide but it also hugely about hope and we want people to feel that at the end, to leave feeling hopeful.

Tickets are available on the Bats website.