Rents Going Up, Nobody Surprised

Rents in Wellington are at their highest point ever, at an average of $595 a week, $45 more than in Auckland.

Head of Rentals at TradeMe (which released the data) Aaron Clancy said “the supply around Wellington is just not keeping up and it’s even tougher at this time of year as students move back for the university year.”

However, other factors seem to be at play.

When maximum student allowances and livings costs payments rose on January 1 2018, so did rent prices. The National Party has also said the newly proposed capital gains tax and the recent Healthy Homes Guarantee Act will pass costs onto tenants.

When the Healthy Homes Guarantee Act was passed in 2017, property investor Matthew Wright told Radio New Zealand that the legislation was putting people off property investment due to increased costs.

The increase in rent has seen reports that people are finding alternative ways to afford housing.

Amanda Saxton reported in a Stuff article that “sex-for-rent” deals were being offered, targeting students and backpackers.

Victoria University of Wellington (VUW) has been exploring shared living options, having recently held the CoHousing Hui.

However, Director of Student and Campus Living Rainsforth Dix told Salient that none of VUW’s student accommodation stays regularly empty throughout the university year.

VUWSA President Tamatha Paul urged students to engage with the upcoming local body elections and government legislation to affect housing change.

“We’ll need students to help push for this to get done,” said Paul.

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism