image_6483441
March 10, 2019 | by  | in One Ocean |

Strike 4 Climate ~ One Ocean

Kam na bane ni Mauri, Malo ni tatou & Ni sa bula vinaka!

Lena and Sulani here, 2 BROWN/WOKEBUTBROKE/BIG(hearted) teines extremely BOTHERED by climate change and the lack of political action to address this.

Straight up, the world is effd if we’re going to watch others fight over our future while we sit in our lecture theatres and do nothing. Consider all future plans DENIED by Mother Earth (and the IPCC report) until mankind gets their sh*t together.

‘School Strike for Climate’, is the brainchild of Swedish girl Greta Thunberg who protested to reduce CO2 emissions during school hours. This was her response to years of climate inaction from politicians, and led to her handing out flyers with “You adults don’t give a sh*t about my future” while camped outside on strike. This inspired millions of students worldwide to stand up in solidarity and join the #Strike4Climate movement.

What this movement encompasses is the need to push authorities to actually listen to scientists – a unified partnership, and for stronger sustainability legislation to be implemented- now.

People tend to forget that the effects of climate change are closer than you think, esp when it’s in our very own backyard! Rising sea levels threaten nations like Kiribati, Tuvalu, and Tokelau (to name a few) which results in increasing acidity (salt) levels, which contaminate freshwater sources; disrupting the delicate ecosystems and obviously decrease land mass.  The Pacific is fighting at the frontlines and the rest of the world is not far behind!

Young people will continue to take climate change action to another level. Join us at Civic Square, Friday 15th March at 10am. Lets show solidarity for Strike 4 Climate and our communities who are at the frontlines facing the effects of climate change. Love to Bob Marley, “Get up stand up, Stand up for your rights” – So get up…and stand for a future of this world we call home.

1. Legalising Abortion Is Still Best Option, Even for Pro-Lifers
  2. hidden figures
  3. Accessibility: Teri O’Neill is Running for Council
  4. VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport
  5. Research: Third of Tertiary Students Sexually Assaulted At University
  6. Battle Of The SECS’: VUW Failing Women In Tech
  7. Issue 15 – Feminism