VUW to Begin Kelburn Liquor Ban Consultation

Victoria University of Wellington says consultation for the Kelburn Park liquor ban is underway.

VUW Student and Campus Living Director Rainsforth Dix spoke at the Wellington City Council (WCC) City Strategy Committee meeting on March 7, where she said the university’s consultation process to report back to WCC is ongoing.

WCC initiated the consultation process for the Kelburn Park liquor ban at the end of last year.

They proposed to work alongside the university to reduce the number of behavioural problems caused by intoxication in the Kelburn area, with a specific focus on Kelburn Park.

At the City Strategy Committee meeting, Dix said that the VUW liquor ban consultation process involved having discussions with parents of hall residents.

Dix highlighted the importance of including parents in the decision-making process, since most residents are living out of home for the first time.

“We want to make sure their parents’ views are considered and also that parents understand what their expectations of the student experience in the Halls should be, given that many of them pay the accommodation costs.”

VUWSA has not been involved in the liquor ban consultation process yet, however, VUW says they will be included after the university has fully assessed the matter.

VUWSA do not agree with the liquor ban being put into place at Kelburn Park, believing it could put students’ safety at risk.

WCC are opening their own consultation on April 1, to engage with students and find out what they think about the proposed liquor ban.

A VUWSA spokesperson told ^Salient that while they oppose the ban, they welcome students to speak up about issues that affect them.

“We will be encouraging students to submit on the issue and bringing it to halls in our hall visits.”

VUW anticipate the entire consultation process will be completed by the end of June this year.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube