Dylan Horrocks gets new job

Highly-acclaimed graphic novelist Dylan Horrocks has accepted a position at Victoria University in 2019, acting as a senior lecturer for the COMD 211 (Drawing) class at Te Aro campus.

Having worked as a cartoonist and graphic novelist for over thirty years, Horrocks is well-known for his works Hicksville and Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen, as well as work on the Batgirl comics line.

During his time as a Writer in Residence at Victoria’s International Institute of Modern Letters, the idea of a more permanent position at Victoria became appealing.

He told Salient, “I found myself falling in love with the university. Everyone I met—students, teachers, admin staff, technicians—was fascinating and inspiring, whatever their department or research area or role.”

He sees combining teaching and research with his own creative work as “basically [his] dream job.”

More people are studying comics, publishing them, and creating them all around the world.

Horrocks sees the New Zealand comics world going through an evolution, and wants to become part of that change.

“Helping coach new comics creators; introducing people to the history and diverse landscape of comics in New Zealand and globally; encouraging research into the form, its history and theory—all of this is what made me want to do this job.”

He hopes to help emerging New Zealand artists learn about their predecessors, and establish a Kiwi presence within the wider comics world.

1. Meet the Candidates: VUW Students and Grads Running for Council
  2. Climate Strike : Take Two
  3. The Privilege of Ignoring Race
  4. La’u Pele. My beloved.
  5. My Name is My Name
  6. ‘Then You Can’t Tell Me Not***g Right?’
  7. The best things in life aren’t free
  8. Free Speech at risk at University – Shalom Students Association
  9. Thursdays in Black Continuing Kaupapa with Club Launch
  10. Largest-ever teachers’ strike scheduled for Wednesday