April 9, 2019 | by  | in Eye on Exec |

Eye on Exec

Two ‘Eye on the Exec’s in a row? What a lucky life you lead.

VUWSA’s March 28 executive meeting was full of big news—some concerning, but also plenty of exciting stuff.

Mental Health Wānanga

*President Tamatha Paul* started off with a recap of the recent mental health wānanga at Tapu Te Ranga Marae. Tam expressed her optimism for the kaupapa. Campus rep groups and activists from last year’s The Wait is Over campaign were invited to discuss mental health at VUW. This included discussions with mental health stalwarts Mary O’Hagan, Ezekiel Raui, and Kassie Hartendorp.

A full report will be published soon.

Lecture Recordings

*Tam’s* report continued with a recap of a recent Academic Faculty Board (AFB) meeting. The meeting focussed on the university’s response to the Mosque Terror Attacks, which included compulsory recording of lectures for the week immediately after. *Education Officer Rinaldo Strydom* is continuing the push for compulsory lecture recordings.

Big Problems with Marking and Reporting

Another big problem discussed was the shortening of the Trimester 1 exam period (down from about three weeks in 2018, to two weeks) and of the marking period (down to three days). The shorter exam period raised concerns about the density of assessments for students. The shorter marking period was more concerning, described as an “impossible deadline”. Academics are reportedly “terrified”.

Concerningly, the AFB proposed that academic progress reports should be made optional. These reports help faculties identify struggling students, and develop support strategies for them. It was suggested that this would put a huge amount of pressure on VUWSA to support these students instead. Academics are reportedly not keen on the idea either.

Sex in the Hub

On a more positive note, there was a discussion of last week’s Sex Week event. The 2019 event has been developed a lot from 2018, with attempts made to make it more accessible, and to have events at all three campuses. The Te Aro and Pipitea “satellite” events were also part of ongoing work from VUWSA to improve their presence and relationship with the non-Kelburn campuses.

*Welfare Vice-President Rhianna Morar* also declared her satisfaction that a number of community organisations have put their support behind the event. These groups include VUW, Wellington City Council, and Massey’s Wellington campus (which had a pilot Sex Week as well).