Halls Continue to Serve Sub-Par Food

In 2018, it was revealed that Boulcott Hall were serving undercooked chicken to residents that was “bloody and red”. Now, its neighbour up the road is serving pasta with a side of maggots. Katherine Jermyn Hall residents received more than they bargained for when they were served “weird shit” at dinner last month.

In March, a photograph emerged on Instagram of a maggot on a piece of pasta. Another night, approximately four weeks ago, a resident found feathers on their plate from a chicken which hadn’t been properly processed. .

^Salient was contacted by two residents and a handful of first-year students about KJ’s catering service.

Two photos were sent in anonymously by residents over the last few weeks, worried about the quality of food in their hall since the start of the year.

When asked if they had been worried about the food in halls prior, an anonymous student replied, “Admittedly I had heard good things about the food at Boulcott… upon moving in I heard stories of uncooked chicken, which made me a little uneasy.”

KJ residents pay $392 a week to be housed and fed at the hall.

When asked about the incident, the university Comms team responded, “The University is aware of this issue. The photographs in question were taken three weeks ago, and the University quickly acted to address the situation with the catering contractor, and to communicate with residents, and parents and whānau.”

“Student and Campus Living has made its expectations clear to the catering contractor and is working closely with the catering contractor to ensure that offerings to residents meet expected quality, and health and safety standards.”

“We are strongly encouraging all residents to provide immediate feedback to hall staff at any time and are committed to acting on any issues raised.”

The VUW spokesperson clarified that all their halls of residence use catering contractors.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,