Climate Strike : Take Two

It’s been two months since the March School Climate Strike, and it appears support for the issue remains strong. Friday saw students returning to protest the government’s lack of action regarding the climate challenges facing New Zealand.

Earlier this month, a climate summit was held by the Nelson City Council to decide whether or not to declare a climate emergency. This is a key demand of the Student Strike Movement, with specific demands for quick and effective action. The UK has recently declared its own climate emergency.

Hundreds voiced their concerns surrounding the environmental future of Aotearoa, marching down Lambton Quay once again to protest government inaction against climate change.

“The strike was just as passionate as last time, especially now that the Zero Carbon Act has passed its first reading. This is only the start of the school strike movement,” remarked Isla Day, a member of the School Strike for Climate Change movement.

While there was a noticeable decrease in participants compared to the previous strike, organisers were still “feeling really inspired and hopeful”.

“The amazing rangatahi in Wellington really stood strong,” said Sophie Handford, key co-ordinator of the strike.

“We know that this is just the beginning of School Strikes in NZ,” stated Elliot Blyth, lead photographer and social media co-ordinator for the Wellington strikes.

“We can only grow from here,” he continued. “We’re confident that the September strike is going to be bigger and better than ever before, and that we won’t stop until we [achieve] genuine climate justice.”

Handford added, “It was awesome to see the different events happening—from tree plantings to beach clean-ups, to big marches.”

7. International Queer in Review
  8. Rostra’s Hot Takes – Queerlient
  9. Issue 14 – Queerlient
  10. Interview with Claudia Jardine