Critic to Launch Hostile Takeover of BuzzFeed

Salient can reveal that after months of developing easily digestible, list-based content, University of Otago student magazine Critic Te Arohi will attempt a hostile takeover of internet giant, BuzzFeed.

Documents leaked to Salient by OUSA Finance Officer Bonnie Harrison indicate the magazine was developing a long-term strategy to merge with, if not subsume, BuzzFeed as early as 2016.

An email with details of the plan was accidentally sent to Victoria University of Wellington’s student media, instead of BuzzFeed’s nearest office in Melbourne, Victoria—apparently confused by the name.

Evident in Critic’s content from 2017 onwards, the student paper has attempted to expand its influence by increasingly publishing list-based articles, also known as “listicles”.

A search on the Critic website for “list” produces 2146 results. Possibly a consequence of a faulty search bar.

A casual 1 a.m. flick-through of Critic’s content from 2017 through to 2019 indicated a large number of listicles. Some appeared to be regular columns.

This, of course, is not to mention Critic’s most famous child, “Critic Booze Reviews”. The regular coulm in the magazine became a national munter stalwart by assessing various types of jus de pisse.

Despite a revenue of USD$167 million in 2015, BuzzFeed recently had to lay off 15% of its staff, raising concerns about its viability.

Critic, which has some 16,179 likes on Facebook, could mount a solid attack on its now main rival. Especially so with Critic Booze Reviews bringing a hefty 43,044 page likes to the table.

Salient insiders have also revealed that the VUW student paper could itself make a move to take over BuzzFeed, with a respectable 7506 page likes and an upcoming “Top 10 Critic Top 10 Lists”.

Critic editor Charlie O’Mannin was unavailable for comment, with Critic staff indicating he was too busy yelling down the phone at BuzzFeed owner and co-founder Jonah Peretti that he was “going to fucking destroy” him.