May 20, 2019 | by  | in Eye on Exec News |

Eye on the Exec – 20/05

Another month, another tantalising VUWSA executive meeting. With the name change out of the way, the students’ association was able to turn their focus to new issues that needed their immediate attention.

Living Wage @ VUW

The meeting kicked off with guest Lyndy McIntyre discussing with the how students and staff can get involved with the Living Wage Movement NZ at VUW. “Our pressure is on wealthy corporates”, commented McIntyre.

With VUWSA being long-time members of the movement, there’s a real push for students to get involved. With Living Wage Day taking place in the Hub at noon on May 22, it’s the perfect opportunity to come and show support.

#ITooAmVic

With the launch of #ITooAmVic last Wednesday, VUSWA discussed the importance of the event and how celebrating* diversity and belonging at Vic was crucial for a mutual appreciation of the many cultures at the uni.

The aim is to create an “open, cross-racial discussion forum” in which students could feel comfortable to share their own cultural heritage while also learning more about others.

Student Assembly

The exec continued their discussion on the implementation of a uni-wide Student Assembly, aiming to bring heads of clubs, staff, and of course students, together to talk on pressing issues. This would take the place of the many (“ineffective”) student forums that VUW holds, which VUWSA President Tamatha Paul thinks is a necessary sacrifice, remarking “the word [forum] has become an empty signifier”.

Fountain Town Lives on

It was announced at the exec meeting that there had been 470 submissions in the vote deciding whether or not to place a liquor ban on Kelburn park. A whopping 380 of those votes were against the liquor ban, meaning Fountown may live to see another day.

*the engagement committee advises you to “get really fuckin’ engaged” with activities around campus