Meet the Candidates: VUW Students and Grads Running for Council

With the local body elections coming up, we reached out for some bios from some of the young people running this year. Watch this space for more local body election updates and news from Salient!

If you’re a student at VUW or a recent grad, get in touch with Salient through news@salient.org.nz

Rabeea Inayatullah

Assalaamualaikum, Talofa Lava, Kia Ora, and Hello!

I’m Rabeea! I’m in my fourth year at Vic studying a BA majoring in Political Science and International Relations. Super stoked that I’ll be finishing my tertiary education at the end of this trimester—just over a month to go!! Now into the campaign stuff—I’m running to be a Councillor in the Northern Ward for Porirua City Council. Why? Because there is a lack of young people and people with cultural backgrounds on probably every single city council in New Zealand. Because of this absence of representation, there are issues which aren’t addressed properly or at all. So, youth and multicultural representation and are some of the key aspects of my campaign. I’m so happy to see this surge of young people running in local body elections this year and I wish us all the best!

Wassalaam.

Teri O’Neill

Kia ora, I’m Teri O’Neill, I’m 21, studying a BSc/BA and running for Motukairangi—Eastern Ward for WCC this year.

The ward covers everything from Strathmore, Lyall Bay to Whātaitai. The aim is to break the mold of the council to better reflect its people. Today, our communities are at a breaking point over transport, homelessness and climate change—that’s the target we miss.

We’ve got the chance for a different perspective, a different way of looking at things than your typical politician—I’m a young person, a renter, and my family grew up on council services. Let’s cause a ruckus and get us a seat at the table.

Victoria Rhodes-Carlin

The decisions that the Greater Wellington Regional Council make impact us from the moment we wake up to when we go to sleep, but our concerns and challenges as young people and students are too often ignored. I’m 21, in my fourth and final year, studying Environmental Studies and Politics, and will be running for GWRC. I am campaigning for ambitious climate action; fairer, more accessible public transport; and for Wellington to become a living wage region. This is a youth- and student-lead movement—get in touch if you want to support this kaupapa! – vic4gwrc@gmail.com

Tamatha Paul

Kia ora! Ko Tamatha Paul tōku ingoa.

I’ve spent the last couple of years campaigning and advocating for the students of Victoria. One of the first things I realised when I came into the role is that while the student voice is a powerful thing, it’s not being properly listened to in our local government. Wellington City Council needs someone who looks like us, talks like us, and knows what it’s like to be a young person in this city. For this reason, I’m running to be City Councillor for Lambton Ward—a ward heavily populated by young people and students.

Find out more at tamathapaul.com