Name Change Horse Finally Gets a Funeral

Victoria University of Wellington announced that there will be no change to its legal name, although the university’s branding and Māori name will change.

VUW will change the Māori name from ‘Te Whare Wānanga o Te Ūpoko Te Ika a Māui’ to ‘Te Herenga Waka’, after the Kelburn campus Marae.

In addition, the word ‘Wellington’ will be emphasised to highlight the university’s location, as part of the branding “refresh”.

The VUW crest and shield will be modified to feature patterns and images from the tukutuku and kōwhaiwhai panels inside Te Herenga Waka Marae.

“We can achieve what we need with a [image] refresh,” commented Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford.

VUW aims at “building an international identity” while also maximising international recognition.

No legal procedure will follow this decision, as all changes to visual identity are controlled by university management.

VUW’s new visual identity will “be seen on the University’s website, in external communications and marketing material,” as mentioned in a university press release.

The Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor said they were not concerned that the failure to legally change the university’s name has affected their image.

In a statement to Salient, the Stick with Vic campaign remarked they were “very glad that the University Council has decided not to mount a legal challenge to the Minister’s decision”.

“As to the rest of the announcement, we are waiting with interest for further details of the proposed rebranding, and the research on which it is said to be based.”

The “refresh” will cost $700,000, and is scheduled to come into effect early next year.

This is in addition to the $160,533.18 that has already been spent on the name change.

*Editor’s note: This is the best thing that’s ever happened to me.

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,