New Sustainability Committee “Sussing for Students”

VUWSA’s new Sustainability Committee met for the second time ever this year. This “supergroup” of clubs on campus, formed to work together for a more sustainable university, met on May 6.  

VUWSA Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Michael Turnbull told Salient, “the idea behind this is not so much to have VUWSA control the little stuff, but to facilitate the clubs’ [initiatives].”

The Sustainability Committee is made up of representatives from various environmental groups on campus. One of them, OpSoc, is a new social club for promoting op shopping and countering fast fashion.

OpSoc exec member Elliot said that the Sustainability Committee works because “we have common goals, can share resources and marketing”.

Abby, the president of Plastic Diet, says that the Sustainability Committee is “all about collaboration”.

She is especially excited about the opportunity that shared marketing with the various groups can provide, and hopes to utilise this for Plastic Diet’s WasteWatchers dishwashing initiative.

At the meeting, it was confirmed that the committee would meet at 5 p.m. on the first Monday of each month. The committee discussed several initiatives they want to promote more.

Several events are being planned, including Forest and Bird Youth’s ocean clean-up and the Sustainability Office’s Growing Graduates tree-planting programme with Vic Plus and the Wellington City Council.

Turnbull suggested the committee could share an Instagram account, to take advantage of shared publicity.

There was a lot of planning for Sustainability Week (aka “SusWeek”), which will be on the week of September 9.

Sustainability Week ideas include careers stalls, meat-free days in halls, a zero-waste dinner, and themed days.

The committee also discussed the next climate strike, on May 24, and how to encourage uni students to get involved.

The meeting finished with action points and a discussion of upcoming club social events to strengthen the group’s network.