May 6, 2019 | by  | in News The Party Line |

Party Line – Issue 08

Question:

“It’s very rare for every member of a political party to agree on every policy, all the time. What is a policy your party has, which your wing finds concerning? Should it be removed or altered?”

Greens@Vic

The Budget Responsibility Rules is a fiscal policy the Green party committed to with Labour for the 2017 election, to maintain the level of government spending to a similar level as the previous National government. The result of these self-imposed fiscal handcuffs is a complete lack of spending on fixing child poverty, the housing crisis and climate change – the very things our party said the BRR would help fix. We urge the government to be the government of change like it promised and invest in its people and its future instead of maintaining the status quo.  

Act on Campus

We think ACT has been too slow in adopting real policy on the legislation of marijuana. Our party has always believed in the idea of personal responsibility, that one should be free to choose how to live their own life. So the fact we haven’t come out in full support for legislation is disappointing, especially as other parties are now controlling the conversation and taking it in the wrong direction. As a youth wing we have always supported the idea and we hope the rest of the party will catch up soon.