June 3, 2019 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA: Delia talks friendship

Friendship! For many, university is the time we form life-long friendships and relationships with those around us. In fact, the whole concept is promoted pretty hard when you first get to halls or lectures, as everyone is telling you that this is the chance to meet new people and form new bonds. But this can also be pretty daunting when you’re surrounded with thousands of new faces.

I like to think that every day is a chance to meet new people and potentially forge new friendships. Last week, we had the launch of #itooamvic in The Hub, a celebration of culture and diversity here at Victoria University. #itooamvic brought everyone together by something we all love: food. Through celebrating our university’s diversity and culture, we also found ourselves celebrating friendship and love. The day was spent with various cultural groups and clubs such as the Malaysian Students’ Organisation, Tongan Students’ Association, German Club, and Indonesian Student Association, offering a feast of foods they had cooked themselves to feed students and staff, offering us insight into their cuisine. What I saw was a joyful coming-together of all walks of life. Music and song was heard throughout the event, The Hub smelt divine, and there were smiles all around. Many of us were strangers, but in that moment, we were all friends, enjoying a meal together, bonding and learning.

Friendship is something definitely worth celebrating. Whether it is seeing your flatmates at the end of the day, cooking with your partner, or a boozy weekend celebrating a 21st… In these moments, it is the people that make it a memorable experience.

Delia Fu

VUWSA Treasurer/Secretary

10. International Queer in Review