International Queer in Review

Tasmania makes gender optional on birth certificates 

In April 2019, new legislation made gender markers on birth certificates optional, and removed the requirement for transgender people to have surgery in order to have their gender recognised. The law also allows people aged 16 years or older to apply to change their registered gender without parental approval, and clarifies laws that protect the right of an individual to express their gender without discrimination.

US House of Representatives pass Equality Act

The USA’s Equality Act is a piece of legislation that would prohibit LGBTQ+ discrimation nationally. The Act would ensure that in housing, schools, work, and in public facilities, the rights and dignities of the LGBTQ+ community are upheld and respected under the law. The Act passed in the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives in May, but is awaiting consideration before the Republican-held Senate. 

Taiwan becomes first in Asia to legalise same-sex marriage

In May, Taiwan became the first of any modern Asian state to legalise same-sex marriage, a move that will allow couples to enter into “exclusive permanent unions” and apply for marriage registration with government agencies, regardless of sexuality.

July 2, 2019: Japan grants refugee status for homophobic persecution 

For the first time in history, Japan has granted asylum to an LGBT+ refugee, on the grounds of homophobic persecution in their home country.

Being transgender no longer classifed as ‘mental disorder’ by World Health Organisation

The decision to remove transgender identities from the ICD-11’s classification of mental disorders was announced by WHO in June last year. The changes to the health manual will come into effect on January 1, 2022.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future