Katharine Jermyn? More Like Katharine Germs-yn

With instances of mould on desserts, Katharine Jermyn Hall is quickly a growing reputation for sub-standard meals.

Salient is in the process of asking Victoria University (who recently renewed their contract with caterers Compass Company Ltd) on the legal technicalities regarding their contract with the group, as well as potential solutions to the ongoing list of food-related problems.

VUWSA is also being questioned on the action being taken regarding the standards of hall food within KJ, and the impact that it could have on its residents.

Salient sat down with a KJ resident to discuss how students in the hall cope with the food served to them.

The resident commented that “sometimes people are just being dramatic and it’s honestly not that bad. But then sometimes you kind of think they’re trying to give you sodium poisoning.”

“You’re paying that kind of money and you do expect that, because of [how much you’re paying], you wouldn’t need to question your food”. 

The resident told Salient that they hadn’t had any word from the hall regarding the poor standard of food, other than an apology email after maggots were found within a meal, back in Trimester 1.

The university told Salient, “We have worked closely with the catering contractor, and continue to do so, to resolve issues and ensure good quality meals”. 

They also said that hall staff had not received specific complaints about mould on desserts. “We urge any residents who have concerns about food to raise them and we undertake to address these immediately,” they added.

The @kathyjcuisine Instagram page is dedicated to documenting sub-par meals at the hall, accruing over 800 followers since its creation in 2018.

VUWSA told Salient that “VUWSA believes in students getting the best deal for students and we don’t believe it is happening at KJ.”

At this stage, is unclear whether or not a significant change to hall food is coming.