VUW Statement on the LGBTI Report Update

As part of our annual Queerlient issue, we published an update on the university’s LGBTI Report, however, VUW was unable to respond in time for us to include their response. Pam Thorburn, Director of Student Academic Services, responds for VUW below:

Since starting in her role at the start of the year, Georgia Andrews (the inaugural Rainbow and Inclusion Adviser) has made significant progress actioning the recommendations outlined in the LGBTI report published in 2018. 

The Rainbow and Inclusion Adviser has developed a relationship with UniQ Victoria, and will support any other student representative group for the rainbow community at the University. 

Georgia’s strong partnership with UniQ Victoria was evident when the University undertook consultation with staff and students on the University’s draft Sexual Harassment Prevention Policy. The Rainbow Community Hui had the highest student turnout. An outcome of this participation from students was the development of the No Room For Homophobia campaign which aims to address the culture on campus, to promote the University’s values, and how students can seek support from the Student Interest and Conflict Resolution team.

The University has made significant progress in the accessibility and community areas. This includes working to ensure our systems recognise non-binary gender markers and preferred names, a high level of outreach across the University but in particular with schools and faculties, a mailing list and regular email contact with the student rainbow community, regular events (New Students Orientation, International Students Orientation, working with UniQ on Pride Week 2019), engagement with the Queer/Rainbow tertiary networks across New Zealand, strong links with Mauri Ora and the Chaplaincy services to ensure students get help and support, and improved visibility of our Rainbow and Inclusion area in publications and online. 

There are 106 gender diverse bathrooms for students and members of the public, and 12 specifically for staff (in secured staff only areas) across Victoria University of Wellington’s campuses and premises. This includes bathrooms that are accessible. Gender diverse signage has been developed for those bathrooms and will be gradually rolled out. The University has published a list of gender diverse bathrooms on all campuses and premises on its website: www.victoria.ac.nz/rainbow

Student Academic Services, in particular the Rainbow and Inclusion Adviser and Mauri Ora (Student Health and Counselling), is working in partnership with students (including those who were involved in initial conversations last year) on the multidisciplinary trans-affirmative clinic at Mauri Ora.