July 22, 2019 | by  | in News Splash |

VUW’s Women are Fucking Good at Sport

It’s a simple message: Sport helps you keep active, make friends, and gives you the opportunity to achieve to a high level. 

VUW is cementing the place of women in sport, with over half of the athletes in Te Puni Village’s Athlete Living space being women, and full-time Sports Manager *Josie Fitzsimons* overseeing a new focus on equity and inclusion. 

*Lara Andrews*, NZ’s first professional softball player in the USA, is also leading the charge as VUW’s new Clubs Manager (based in the old ANZ building).

In the meantime, check out some outstanding achievements from the uni’s women in sport.

VUW Netball

“Netball is about creating a sense of community and getting involved,” said President of VUW Netball Club *Sophie Verstraten*

With 21 teams in the Wellington Netball Competition, and two in the Premier Grade, the club focuses on building relationships and connections, having fun, and getting active. 

Recent individual successes include representatives *Abby Collier* and *Lauren Smith* competing in New Zealand Under 21s indoor netball. 

teamvicnetball@gmail.com 

Ultimate Frisbee

Ultimate Frisbee, often played mixed, has increased participation for women, who now have an equal split of game time and representation in teams. 

VUW Frisbee has over 20 teams playing in various leagues, and has achieved great success at an individual level, with *Demme Simkin* making the National Training Squad and looking to compete in the 2020 World Champs, and other members in different representative teams.

vuwfdc@gmail.com 

Hockey and Floorball 

Hockey is also thriving at VUW, with the club winning the National Tertiary Hockey Championships in 2016 and 2017. 

There are currently around five hockey teams within the university. *Emma Fell*, who played in these teams, has also represented New Zealand in floorball, a sport similar to ice hockey. 

Floorball has a club team at Victoria. Emma wants to emphasise that participation in sport is incredibly important for escaping “the stresses of studying”. 

*Estelle Macadre* represented the Capital Hockey’s Under 21s team, played in the national hockey league, and against Australia in the national Under 21 team. Estelle highly recommends the Victoria Hockey Club for people keen on playing socially.

secretary@victoriahockey.org.nz

isbka03@gmail.com 

Futsal 

Victoria’s team for futsal, fast-paced indoor football, recently won the National Tertiary Futsal Championship, managed by previous Futsal Fern and VUW alumni *Sarah Alder*

The university did not have a team three years ago, but the sport has boomed on campus. 

vuwfutsalclub@gmail.com 

ITF Taekwon-Do 

Victoria does not have an ITF Taekwon-Do club, but VUW student *Rose Biddiscombe* has won two gold medals at the 2018 National Tournament for Taekwon-Dot, and was selected to be a part of the New Zealand Taekwon-Do team. 

In 2019, she was awarded Best Overall Senior Female Black Belt in NZ. 

http://vuwtkd@outlook.com/ 

Rugby

There are increased numbers of women in the Old Boys University Rugby Academy (six out of 19). 

The academy is a partnership between the university and one of NZ’s oldest rugby clubs, the Old Boys University RFC. 

Notably, *Joanah Ngan-Woo* received a full professional contract with the Black Ferns in 2018 after graduating. 

clubcaptain@oburugby.com 

victoria.hunters@gmail.com 

Surf Life Saving 

Although not represented in the clubs scene due to the chilly Wellington water, VUW has had great success in Surf Life Saving, with *Libby Bradley* making it into the 2019 Surf Life Saving Open Team to compete in Japan. 

The university provides a student athlete advisor and athlete sponsorship to assist her with this—accommodations which are also offered to other female athletes. 

Check out all these clubs at the start of Clubs Day next trimester, or contact them via the emails above.

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future