Eye On the Exec

Your favourite news column Eye on the Exec took a break for a bit, but please don’t worry—we’re back, and our eye has been kept firmly upon the VUWSA Executive. The two latest meetings took place on July 18 and August 1. We’ve prepared a summary of all the best bits to spare you the rigmarole of attending a meeting yourself (which you can actually do).

Proposed Change of Location for Candidates Forum
During the July meeting, the executive discussed changing the location of the candidates forum from the Hub to the Hunter Lounge. The forum is a chance for candidates running for the 2020 executive to state their case for election. Insiders indicated the location change reflects everyone’s love of a cold, flavourless Castle Point jug, especially with a side of “vote-for-me-I’m-a-law-student” speeches. Nominations for elections open on Aug 12 and closes on Aug 26.

Stress-Free Study Week/ Re-set Week
The August meeting included a ‘review’ of Re-set Week, and student favourite ‘Stress-Free Study Week’. Re-set Week, formerly known as Re-OWeek, was a chance for VUW students “to re-set and re-focus for the trimester ahead”, rather than just a sequel to O-Week. The week of student events was labelled as a positive change by the VUWSA executive. Based on this year’s success, Re-set Week could soon become a regular fixture on the university’s annual calendar.

June saw the return of ‘Stress-Free Study Week’. The week is meant to provide “all that you need to keep calm in the lead up to your exams and big assessment hand-ins”. However, the executive agreed it could have been better and the week lacked one key component: Puppies!!

Victoria Business School Name Change
The Victoria Business School has changed its name to the Wellington School of Business and Government. The exec discussed the anger around lack of consultation about the school’s name change, following the contentious re-brand of the wider university. With this many name changes, it seems like the university is either going through a rebellious teenage phase, or a mid-life crisis. Given the amount of money being thrown around, it’s probably the latter. Let’s all just be glad that Salient isn’t the student magazine for the University of Wellington.

Submissions for #itooamvic
The #itooamvic campaign launched this year is still accepting submissions to be a part of the video series. At the August meeting, the executive discussed the latest submission to be apart of #itooamvic. The video series aims to highlight the diversity of the university community and also to give a voice to minority groups on campus.

Rhianna Morar Resigns
VUWSA Welfare Vice President (WVP) Rhianna Morar has resigned from her role. Rhianna first started at VUWSA in March of 2018.

During her time as WVP, Rihanna worked to address the needs of RAs in the university’s halls of residence, as well as promoting campaigns like ‘Thursdays in Black’. ‘‘The Wait is Over Campaign’, which aimed to improve mental health support for students, was perhaps the biggest campaign Rhianna led during her time as part of VUWSA.

Rhianna is now moving on to begin research on the Treaty of Waitangi jurisprudence at the Faculty of Law. She wishes all the best for the remaining VUWSA staff and encourages them to “continue to be bold and question everything!”

1. SWAT: Nostalgia
  2. The Vines of Nostalgia
  3. Drawn In
  4. The Ugly Sneaker
  5. My Romanticised Oasis
  6. Issue 18 – Nostalgia
  7. Eye On the Exec
  8. Ihumātao, its Whakapapa, and why it isn’t Mana Whenua v Outsiders
  9. Telling People with EDs to “Just Eat”: Never worked, never will, and now we have more proof.
  10. Salient Writers Get to Nerd Out at Festival for the Future