August 5, 2019 | by  | in Features Splash |

Te Namo Te Lumanaki

Malo ni, ulutonu mai, and welcome!

We are privileged and honored to have the opportunity to share our Tokelau cultural heritage with the wider community. It is our aim to create a sustainable pathway for future generations of Tokelau students to come.

Newly established in August 2014, Te Namo is the only Tokelauan Students association at a tertiary institution in New Zealand. We are a group comprised of dedicated VUW students, alumni, and public participants who are passionate about the growth and development of our members—culturally, ethically, and academically.

Our name, Te Namo Te Lumanaki, contains some characteristics of the core values and culture of the group.

“Te Namo” —means “the lagoon” which describes the body of water situated between the Tokelau atolls.

• A place of resource where many of our people can develop skills and knowledge.
  • A place of collaboration and accountability.
  • A place of transition and growth.
  • A place of learning where each person is responsible and each person is significant.

“Te Lumanaki”—means “the future” and this embodies our position to build resources for the future and give back to our Tokelau community.

“Te pakeve ke tu to galu”—“The young trevally (fish) create their own wave on the reef to avoid being stranded”; the young people must learn to be resourceful and self-sufficient. This alagakupu (proverb) is what we as Tokelau students strive towards as we study here at Victoria University to equip ourselves with the knowledge to be able to guide us in our walks in life and help us paddle our canoes to our destinations of success.

We open our arms to all people who are welcome to join us as we journey together to a brighter future.

We wish you God’s blessings,

Ke manuia koutou i te alofa o te Atua.

Fakafetai lahi lele