That’s Us Then Exhibition

That’s Us Then took place on July 12 at the Adam Art Gallery here on campus. The night was an exploration of responses to Edith Amituanai’s Double Take (curated by Ane Tonga), from students and young adults from across the Wellington region. 

Building off the idea that Edith is reflecting “us” in our everyday realities, a huge part of the discussion and planning of the event was to determine what the term ‘response’ meant, and what responding looked like within the context of creating within someone else’s space. Does response evoke reciprocity? How do we remain true to ourselves yet respectful of others’ truths? Who are the tangata whenua of this operating space? Do we have a right to claim family ties with our Ranui Aukilagi counterparts, if we ourselves reside in Wellington? As each group and artist responded individually, we believe a unified response was also achieved. That’s Us Then was a statement that emphasises the saying of—“this is us” in the photographs, and therefore we want to see more of us in similar spaces.