Ashleigh Putt-Fallows

Chatting Shit with my Nail Artist 

Interview with

Grace from Armoured Studio (they/them) and Ash Putt-Fallows (she/her/ia) | Ngāti Whātua, Ngāpuhi- Ngāti Hine, Tūhoe

If there is one thing I am consistent with, it's my nail appointments. Every month, I make my way to Grace, and they somehow create little pieces of art on my nails. During my last appointment, I took along a document of questions—because who else gets gossip if not my nail tech?

What is your favourite part of the job? 

Meeting new people, learning and experiencing different aspects of life through them, especially when they're returning clients. They kind of just become friends at that point. 

What is your least favourite part of the job? 

Masking, I feel a lot of anxiety around maintaining professionalism—wondering if I'm doing things right or being professional enough. It pushes me to stay on top of everything, but I'm always on edge about it, especially with new clients.

What is your favourite type of client?

People who come in with an idea we can build on together. It feels really fulfilling at the end to say, "Oh, look, we did it."

Who's your favourite client? [Spolier, it's Me.] 

It's Ash because Ash was the reason that I actually got my shit in gear, my first client. That's why she's my favourite. 

What type of gossip do you tend to get from clients?

I get so many fucking boy problems, but that's so fine because I realise this is a space for people to come to and let out their worries. That's special to me and something I try to provide. 

What is your favourite thing to spend your nail tech money on? 

I should be better with my nail tech money. More nail stuff is the main answer. I enjoy having a client before a weekend and being able to go out to gigs and parties, which affords spontaneous fun. 

What is your Nail Tech Ick? 

I'm not sure if it's stigma, but when I tell people I'm a nail tech, some assume I'm not smart. I wish more people understood how much goes into beauty services—we're working with chemicals. There's a lot of safety, knowledge, and skill involved.

Are there any nails you will not do?

If people come to me and get plain nails, I'm kind of like, "Oh, but I can do so much more." But I'll do what anyone wants; someone might not feel comfortable going somewhere else, or they may want someone who's queer-friendly, etc., and I can provide that space. 

What is the best thing to do to prepare for a nail appointment? 

Having an idea about the design is helpful, but people can show up, and I can go from there. I often ask people when they book if they have a budget. I don't want to spend more than they're comfortable with, so letting me know lets me get the design within budget.

What is your favourite thing to trade for a nail appointment? 

My friend bought me a taxidermy scorpion and it matched the price of the set. Usually, I need the money, but that week I was like, fuck yeah, I'll take a scorpion.

What's your favourite TikTok or Instagram Reels trend?

I'm loving the influx of Wolverine edits. Oh, Wolverine. I'm eating that eye candy. You can put that one down; you can quote me. 

Grace runs Armoured Studio, doing nails, creating press-on nail sets and attending festivals year-round. Recently, they began offering tooth gems at Union Tattoo and are certified tooth gem fairy. Scan the QR code to check it out!

Commentaires