top of page
  • Phoebe Robertson

MADE HER MARC: An Exit Interview with VUWSA’s President

PHOEBE ROBERTSON (SHE/HER)

Almost a year ago, Marcail Parkinson took office as the President of the Victoria University of Wellington Students' Association (VUWSA), following a term as Welfare Vice-President in 2023. In a reflective interview, Parkinson discussed her biggest wins, her ongoing challenges, and the initiatives that shaped her presidency.

Parkinson’s leadership saw significant progress in key student welfare campaigns, notably securing a commitment to a living wage strategy for Te Herenga Waka. Under her guidance, VUWSA played a crucial role in advocating for the university to pay its staff a living wage, a particularly pressing issue given Wellington’s high cost of living. “The university was paying tutors the least compared to other university cities in New Zealand,” Parkinson said, highlighting the disparity and how it impacted the retention of staff.

Another major victory was the University's divestment from Israeli government bonds. This achievement was driven by student activism, largely through action by Pōneke Student Justice for Palestine. Parkinson, the only student on the university’s foundation board, said the victory “reflects the power of collective student action”, emphasising how divestment aligns with the university’s ethical responsibilities. Parkinson’s leadership in this area is viewed as a landmark moment for VUWSA and student activism at large.

A third milestone was securing compensation for Ngāi Tauira, the representative body for Māori students. Prior to this, Ngāi Tauira had been operating without remuneration, which created inequities for students dedicating significant time to advocacy roles. Parkinson underscored that it was no longer feasible to expect students to volunteer their time to the university without financial support. This change signifies a broader push for equitable student representation.

Aside from these policy victories, Parkinson’s tenure also marked a historic move in student politics. She led the creation of a new National Presidents Council (official name undecided, but this is the name Marcail is pushing for), the first time in over a decade that student associations across the country united under one body. This initiative was designed to amplify student voices, particularly on the national stage in the lead-up to the 2026 general election, enabling collective advocacy on issues like free fares and paid placements for students.

Her year as president wasn’t without challenges. The free speech debate, particularly around a contentious panel that included Jonathan Ayling, sparked heated discussions across campus. VUWSA’s initial decision to oppose the panel stirred controversy, with some accusing Parkinson of suppressing free speech. Reflecting on the event, Parkinson noted, “The situation sparked a lot of toxic conversations, and many didn’t fully understand the reasons for my stance.” Despite the pushback, she worked closely with the university's leadership to ensure authentic student concerns were heard and addressed, leading to the creation of the two-panel event that went forward. 

Parkinson’s colleagues speak highly of her resilience throughout these trials. Liban Ali, Welfare Vice-President, discussed that while many saw the front-facing aspects of Parkinson's presidency, there was much more going on behind the scenes—hours spent at her desk, fighting for student rights. VUWSA CEO Matthew Tucker recalls her as an exceptionally hard worker, sharing that even before her presidency, “I often had to tell her to slow down. She didn’t like being told not to work so hard.”

As she prepares to step down, Parkinson leaves behind a legacy of student activism, advocacy, and institutional change. Her time in office demonstrated that collective student action, coupled with determined leadership, can yield tangible results that will benefit students long after her term has ended.

Comments

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Spotify
  • Instagram
bottom of page