• Phoebe Robertson

Vote Kororā for Bird of the Year

Shouted by Phoebe Robertson (She/Her)

It’s that time of year again, and hopefully, it will be a democratic, Kiwi election (with no meddling from late-night talk show hosts). We will all log into the Forest & Bird site and cast our votes for those pesky little creatures that have a chokehold on the Department of Conservation. But, I argue, they have a chokehold on us all.

This year, the Salient team is backing the kororā, our favourite little pals. Why are we backing the kororā, you may ask? Because Wellington Zoo currently has Harriet and Nettle, the lesbian penguins who have stolen our team’s hearts.

But it’s not just about Harriet and Nettle, as wonderful as they are. The kororā, or Little Blue penguin, is the smallest species of penguin in the world, standing at just 25 centimetres tall. Despite their diminutive stature, they’re packed with personality. These tiny marvels can swim up to six kilometres per hour, gliding through the water with all the grace of a ballerina—if that ballerina were wearing a demure tuxedo and had an insatiable appetite for fish.

Kororā are known for their distinctive slate-blue plumage, which not only helps them blend in with the ocean waves but also gives them a certain air of sophistication. They might be small, but they’re fierce protectors of their nests, often setting up home in rock crevices, under bushes, or even in suburban backyards, proving that you can be both adorable and tenacious.

What’s more, the kororā are close to home. If you keep a keen eye out, you might spot them around Te Whanganui-a-Tara, and if you’re really lucky, even at the waterfront. The best day of this author’s life was when she spotted a kororā at the waterfront one day, a moment so magical it is still a source of pure joy.

These birds are also incredibly loyal, often forming lifelong bonds with their partners. Harriet and Nettle are just one of many examples of the strong relationships kororā form. In a world where we’re constantly told to stand tall and be strong, the kororā reminds us that you can be small and mighty; you can take on the world’s challenges, with a partner by your side.

But the kororā need our help. Their populations are declining due to habitat destruction, introduced predators like stoats and cats, and human interference. These little warriors are facing big challenges, and by voting for the kororā in the Bird of the Year competition, you’re not just giving them your support—you’re giving them a voice.

So, when you cast your vote this year, remember the kororā. Remember Harriet and Nettle, remember their tiny, determined flippers, their sleek blue feathers, and their unwavering dedication to each other and their environment. Voting for the kororā is more than just picking a winner; it’s about recognising the importance of these small yet significant creatures in our ecosystem. They may be little, but their impact—and their need for protection—is enormous.

Let’s give the kororā the recognition they deserve. Vote for the Little Blue penguin, and let’s make sure these charming, courageous birds get the support they need to thrive.

Editor's note: If the Kororā wins the Bird of the Year vote, Salient editor Phoebe Robertson will get a tattoo of VUWSA CEO Matthew Tucker and VUWSA President Marcail Parkinson dressed as Kororā, holding hands. Stay tuned!

Comentarios