• Ophelia Muller

What do you mean Aotearoa still has a gender pay gap???

Words by: Ophelia Muller (she/her)

Okay so I recently started a new job and, of course, when I got offered it the first person I rang was my mum. She did the usual congratulations, I reminded her that I am currently doing way better than my younger sisters career wise, she told me to be nice and then asked me what I’ll be getting paid.

I told her how much and her first question was: was that their first offer? Obviously it was, because how awkward having to turn around to the people that just offered me the job and demand more money. I didn’t want to be rude. 

Now for this I was told off…don’t you know never take the first offer? Don’t sign ANYTHING until you’ve asked why they believe that is a valid pay rate for your role. You do know that one of the reasons the gender pay gap continues is because of young women doubting their worth right???

Well no I didn’t know that actually. I had no idea that I (who identifies very strongly as a feminist) perpetuate the social norms that result in women getting paid less. The norms that make me feel guilty for asking for more money, awkward for questioning a job offer, too polite to push back. 

The gender pay gap in Aotearoa has been stuck around 10% for the past decade. With the average gender pay gap in Aotearoa sitting at 8.2%, and with women’s unemployment rate being 5% higher than mens. It is important to acknowledge as well that the gender pay gaps for wāhine Māori, Pacific, Asian and disabled women are substantially higher than the overall gap. For women of colour, this is where you get a double whammy of racism and sexism. The pay gap space is a complicated one: it can be difficult for people to understand; it can be difficult for organisations to understand.

As a country we lean too heavily on our feminist past. We have a racist complacency that because we gave women the vote first and the gender pay gap between pākeha women and pākeha men is less than 10% we don’t demand better. But we need better, we deserve better. 

Now you might think okay but surely it should be illegal to pay female workers less, which guess what! It actually is. The Equal Pay Act, created in 1972, made it illegal to pay people differently for the same job. This act was then updated in 2020 to provide clear pay equity processes. But if you do the maths, it has been 52 years since the first equal pay act was created, and four since it was revised. That means that for over 50 years organisations in Aotearoa have been underpaying women and the one legal thing that is meant to stop that has been ignored. 

Now, I want to highlight that it is the organisation’s job to fix their gender pay gap, not the employee. However, it isn’t something that can be fixed quickly—so it is important to make sure you’re allowing space for this kōrero in your workplace. 

One way into these conversations is asking early about their gender pay gap. For example, during a job interview. Let’s say you have an offer and are starting to have the salary kōrero. All you have to do is ask one simple question: what is your gender pay gap? Their answer will tell you everything you need to know about your pay, possible new boss and organisation culture. If they don’t know or refuse to answer that in itself tells you a bit about them. 

So to help all of you incredible wāhine going into the workforce (now terrified that you may get paid less and have no idea) I spoke to an amazing wāhine by the name of Dellwyn Stuart who, amongst many other things, created an organisation called Mind the Gap which fights for gender pay transparency. 

She helped me compile some hot tips that you can follow to secure your equal pay!

1. KNOW YOUR WORTH. You will never come out of a negotiation on top if you walk in doubting yourself. You are worth it, so make sure you get paid your worth.

2. Condition yourself to be comfortable talking about money in a work setting. Generations before us were taught to never talk about their salaries. So be comfortable having those conversations, make it known early with your boss that you will be asking for pay rises. Hold them accountable.

3. Be curious. If you’re unsure whether the rate you have been offered is standard, ask about the banding for the role. Question how people in a similar role have been paid over recent years so you know where you can expect to be situated.

4. Put your boss on notice. There are lots of ways to come to these conversations without saying “pay me more money”, asking questions from the get go is the best way to put your boss on notice right from the outset that you would appreciate open conversations. 

5. Never apologise for wanting to talk about how you are compensated for your work. If someone reacts badly that is on them, and is a red flag that might be worth listening to.

6. Identify your champion. It can be hard going into a new role, so identifying someone that you can think of as a champion, someone you can build a relationship with and speak too about these kinds of things will serve you very well. 

So now (hopefully) as all of you incredible wāhine enter or continue through the job market you combat the gender pay gap that diminishes your worth in comparison to a man’s. Have the conversations, ask the questions, question the answers, and NEVER apologise for knowing your worth.

Comments